Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Another beauty... and Creamy Dreamy Goodness

I get completely wrapped up in the story telling way of Deb, the creator of A Smitten Kitchen... this blog/website is a tremendous resource that strips away the pretense of cooking and marks successes and failures with equal flair. Her style of writing seems to transplant you into the circumstance in which she created or adapted a given dish... I am unfailingly drawn into her world. So, with that, I welcome you to add to your blog roll, the wonderful works of A Smitten Kitchen.

Courtesy of A Smitten Kitchen and America's Test Kitchen Cookbook, my mom made these Dreamy Cream Scones for Christmas... though, my mom's take on the title is Creamy Dreamy Scones.



Blackberry Creamy Dreamy Scones

I feel like I should be playing dress up when I eat a scone. As though I should be infinitely more sophisticated, setting a proper tea service and using delicate china. While that might not be the reality, I definitely enjoy the make-believe part of cooking... so, here's a not so sophisticated and incredibly enjoyable diversion.

Ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter (I always use unsalted butter... that way you can control your ingredients completely.)
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup cream

Heat oven to 425 F.

(If you have a food processor, which *sadly* I do not, you can do this whole process with that.)
Put the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Stir together. Cut butter (using a pastry cutter, knives or your fingers) into the flour mixture until coarse chunks of butter are dotted throughout. If you are adding in fruit or the like, this is the time. Stir in cream until a dough begins to form, then turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface (countertop or cutting board).

Form dough into a rounded disk and cut into wedges (or you can cut rounds using a glass or cookie cutter).

Place wedges on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes (mine took 14), until tops are light brown. Cool, then eat with whatever suits your fancy.


(One thing... I didn't want to mush the berries and turn the whole scone lavender, so I was probably a bit too delicate with my mixing... Next time, I won't be so precious about it. Looks aside... these taste fantastic.)

4 thought(s):

boxacademy said...

mmmm... they sound amazing! I know exactly where I am taking you when you come in to town - ever had high tea before?

I've checked out her site before - quite lovely.

SS

doulanana said...

They look delicious, Put the followers link on your blog so I can follow you!

Unknown said...

Until I went to England, I never appreciated the value of a freshly-baked scone. The store-bought ones there always seem so blah. But fresh-made scones are delicious. Have you ever tried clotted cream on them? Think whipped cream, but better.

wannafoodie said...

@SS High tea sounds wonderful!!

@doulanana Done and done! Thanks for following!

@Morgan Sounds deadly.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails