Saturday, May 29, 2010

Asian Marinated Chicken


Aside from a rudimentary stir-fry, I haven’t ventured far into the realm of Asian cooking. While not unfamiliar, the spices and flavours of Asian cooking are not quite so second nature for me when I hope for inspiration and spontaneous combinations. Maybe that is why it is equally fascinating… and daunting.

I have a cupboard full of Asian flavours that I have been collecting for a few years now and using sparingly, as I dabble but not jump into Asian culinary creativity. Sesame oil, fish sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, tamari… and, as of recently, Chinese five spice. The arrival of the five spice on the scene was, apparently, enough to make me jump…

Ingredients:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
Then your chicken... I used six boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a plastic bag or container. Add your chicken and leave it to marinate overnight or as long as your hunger will let you.

Grill chicken for about 4 minutes on each side.




Garnish with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds. Serve with rice and wilted bok choy… or whatever else peaks your Asian culinary creativity. The chicken is wonderful sticky and full of flavour... perfect for a summer's supper or a cool afternoon lunch.

3 thought(s):

Chef Dennis Littley said...

what an incredible glaze!! I can only imagine how good that chicken tastes!

Cristina said...

I'm with you about not being familiar with the different flavors, oils, spices used in Asian cooking. However, I really enjoy the results (having to follow a recipe) and venture a little on my own. This marinade sounds like there's some good, flavorful ingredients!

The Housewife said...

It's great that you ventured into a new realm and tried something new! :) The chicken looks really good!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails